The Two Types of FAA Flight Schools

The Two Types of FAA Flight Schools

Most airports in the United States offer some type of flight training either by a flight school or a freelance flight instructor. A flight school will usually provide a wider variety of flight training aids, special facilities and a greater flexibility in scheduling. A number of colleges and universities also provide flight training as a part of their curriculum.

There are two different types of FAA Flight Schools that you can attend to complete your flight training.


FAA Part-141 Flight Schools also known as FAA-Approved Flight Schools:

Enrollment at a FAA part-141 flight school usually ensures a higher quality of flight training, but not always. FAA-Approved part 141 flight schools have to meet certain standards with respect to equipment, facilities personnel and curriculum. However, many excellent part-61 flight schools find it impractical to qualify for the FAA part 141 approved flight school certification. One of the differences between a part-141 flight school and a part-61 flight school is that fewer flight hours are required to qualify for a pilot certificate at a part-141 flight school. The flight hour requirements for a private pilot certificate are 40 hours at a Part-61 flight school, and 35 hours at a Part-141 flight school. However, since the national average is between 60 to 75 flight hours, this difference may be insignificant. Part-141 flight schools are not always job friendly. If you plan on working full time and training you are probably better off doing your training at a part-61 flight school.

FAA Part-61 Flight Schools also known as Non-Approved Flight Schools:

FAA part-61 flight schools are not governed as much by the FAA as are part-141 flight school. Part-61 flight schools still offer the same type of training but they can provide their own training program that can meet or sometimes exceed the programs of a part 141 flight school. Another great benefit about part-61 flight schools is that you can schedule your training at any time. You do not have to attend classes at a certain time everyday like you would at a part 141 flight schools. Training at a Part-61 flight school is great for people that have full time jobs or a family that they have to take care off.

So now you know a little bit more about FAA part-141 and FAA part-61 flight schools. Start your search for a flight school now.  Visit FlightSchoolList.Com to find a flight school near you.

Share this post

Comments (2)

  • How much does flight training cost? | Aviation Blog Reply

    […] The two types of FAA Flight Schools in the United States are Part 61 and Part 141 flight schools.  The minimum number of hours required for your FAA Private Pilot’s license is 35 hours at a Part 141 flight school and 40 hours at a part 61 flight school.  It’s not a huge difference considering the national average to complete your private pilot’s license is around 60 to 75 hours.  You can learn more about the difference between both types of flight schools here: The Two Types of FAA Flight Schools […]

    August 3, 2017 at 11:52 am
  • What are my flight training options? | Aviation Blog Reply

    […] Learn more about the difference between FAA part 61 and 141 flight schools by clicking here:  FAA Part 61 vs 141 flight schools.  You can find a list of flight schools in your local area by clicking here: List of Flight […]

    August 7, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.